This introductory six-week class is designed for puppies aged 8 to 16 weeks when they start class. This 50 minute weekly class introduces the handler to COKC’s “positive, not permissive” training philosophy which builds a confident and trusting puppy. Using engaging games and through positive interaction, puppies will learn to focus on their handlers while still having fun. This class includes all aspects of socialization: to people, places, things, sights, sounds, and touch with no puppy to puppy play. Important skills such as house training, bite inhibition and resource guarding are also covered in this class.
Click here to find out how to register for Puppy.
This introductory six-week class is designed for dogs over 16 weeks of age. This 50 minute weekly class introduces the handler to COKC’s “positive, not permissive” training philosophy. Handlers first work on handler focus, or getting their dogs to pay attention to them. This is done by playing games such as “Attention Game”, “Gimme Dat Collar” and “It’s Yer Choice”. This class includes a major focus on having handlers play with their dogs, to build a better relationship and increase the dog’s handler focus. Handlers teach their dogs to sit and down, and the lifelong importance of the recall (teaching dogs to come on the first call) is emphasized in this class. Another major focus of this class is socialization – exposing dogs to as many different people, sights, and sounds as possible, as well as teaching dogs to accept all types touch and handling from their owners and others. No dog to dog play will occur in this class. The foundation for “loose leash walking” is laid in this class. House training, bite inhibition and resource guarding are also covered, and dogs learn to “love their crate” as an important part of crate training. The owner/handler must attend 4 out of the 6 classes to be able to register for the next level of classes.
Click here to find out how to register for Manners 1.
Prerequisite: Manners 1
This 50 minute weekly class building on the skills learned in Manners 1 plus new exercises. Handlers teach their dogs to stand, and gradually increase the amount of time dogs are expected to hold all of the static exercises such as sit, down and stand. Shaping with a clicker is taught in this class, and this shaping principle is applied to new skills such as hand targeting. The retrieve is taught in this class, and handlers spend lots of time working on two very important skills introduced in the prerequisite class: recall and loose leash walking. Socialization to all kinds of people and things continues in this six week class. The owner/handler must attend 4 out of the 6 classes to be able to register for the next level of classes.
Click here to find out how to register for Manners 2.
Prerequisite: Puppy or Manners 1
This 50 minute weekly class is for handlers with young/inexperienced dogs interested in participating in dog sports such as, disc, flyball, agility and rally. This class will teach the skills needed to help teams succeed in dog sports using foundation work in strength, body awareness, trick training and control exercises by engaging your dog in meaningful play. Please note: This six week class is not meant for dog/handler teams already enrolled in a dog sport class and is a prerequisite for agility.
Click here to find out how to register for Dogsports Foundation
How to Register
After reviewing the class descriptions above, click here for our class schedule and find the class you would like to attend and the time slot(s) when it is offered.
Contact us by email at email@example.com or by phone at 1-204-725-2009 and leave a message. Please indicate the name and time slot of the class you would like to attend as well as your name and contact information.
- Class fees for COKC Ordinary Members are $80.00 (including GST) per six-week session. Class fees for COKC Associate Members and Non-members are $100.00 (including GST) per six-week session.
- The maximum class size is for Manners 1/ Puppy is 8 with an instructor to handler and Manners 2 classes is 6. The minimum class size is 4 and a class may be cancelled if the minimum is not met.
- Unvaccinated dogs are at greater risk to contract and spread disease. To keep your dogs and the dogs of your fellow class members as safe as possible, please follow your veterinarian’s recommendations with regard to a comprehensive vaccination program. Class participants will be required to show proof of vaccination or acceptable alternative (e.g. letter from veterinarian, titre results, etc).
- COKC reserves the right to remove dogs from our classes if they exhibit aggression, extreme reactivity, or excessive barking. All of these issues interfere with group classes and prevent others from learning. COKC will offer referrals to other dog professionals to assist owners in dealing with dogs with extreme issues.
- COKC may hold classes indoor or outdoor or online (if required)