What is Disc Dog?
Disc Dog is an active sport where handler and dog are a team, working towards titles by playing games involving catching the disc and going through obstacles.
COKC offers Disc Dog classes in the spring-summer-fall, weather permitting. Training, like trials, is stopped in thunder and lightening storms, but continues after the storm passes. Training and trials are not stopped for rain or wind. These classes cover basic disc training – teaching your dog to catch, plus a higher level class to learn the games that are played in UpDog competition.
There are two organizations currently playing in Manitoba: Canadian Disc Dog Association (CDDA) and UpDog.
At COKC we will be focusing on UpDog training and trials.
For more information on classes offered at COKC visit https://www.crocusdogs.com/disc-dog-classes/
“UpDog is dedicated to expanding the awareness and participation of people and dogs in athletic endeavours. We want more people and more dogs having fun, playing together.
So we designed some fun games built around the opportunity for every dog and human to work towards their own personal bests. You will have fun (Play), you will earn achievements (Achieve), and you and your dog will learn and grow. (Expand)”
- UpDog 2018. https://updogchallenge.com
Registration to compete in trials
Each human and dog must be registered with UpDog to be able to play games in a trial.
The following link will take you to the UpDog membership page and take you though the steps on how to register your team:
Registering your team is free, but there is a small yearly activation fee if you wish to track your points, Level UP, or qualify for world championships.
Freestyle – dogs must be at least 16 months old to participate.
Frizgility, 7up, FunKey and any games using agility equipment – dogs must be at least 12 months old to participate.
All other games have no age restrictions; however, competitors are expected to keep their dogs’ health and safety at the forefront of their game play.
The list below includes all discs that are all allowed to be used at competition and in class:
- All hero Dog disc models
- All Hyperflite disc models
- All Wham-O Fastback models
- Latitude 64 line of dog discs
- Pup-sized discs are allowed for any sized dog
- Soft or floppy discs that are round in shape, solid construction (no holes, etc.) and safe for the dog.
General UpDog Rules can viewed at https://updogchallenge.com/general-rules/
- 3 catches and back behind the line to stop time
- Similar to “Single Disc” in CDDA
- Throw down the middle for bonus points!
- An accuracy game with a bit of luck rolled in
- Combine 4WayPlay with an agility snooker games and get FunKey!
- A hybrid of disc and agility
- A catch in all 4 corners learn the Quad!
- A series of jumps and catches executed in a timely fashion
- A cumulative distance game
- The premier presentation of teamwork, disc skills and showman ship
At COKC, due to the size limitations of our field, the games we play and practice include:
- 4WayPlay Level 1 and 2
- Frizgility Level 1
- Spaced Out Level 1
- Time Warp Level 1 and 2
- ThrowNGO Level 1 and 2 (will only be using a 40 yard field instead of 50 yards)
Disc Dog is an active sport where handler and dog are a team, working towards titles by having the dog catch a disc thrown by the handler.
COKC offers a Disc Dog League in a large fenced field at our club building. The league operates only in the spring-summer-fall, weather permitting. Training, like trials, is stopped in thunder and lightning storms, but continues after the storm passes. Training and trials are not stopped for rain or wind.